Xylitol: A Lesser-Known Canine Poison

A common home item that might be harmful to dogs has incited an urgent warning for dog owners.

The low-calorie sweetener Xylitol, also known as E967, is present in several kinds of household items including peanut butter, toothpaste, sugar-free gum, allergy medications, and digestive aids, however it is “extremely hazardous” to dogs.

Xylitol is a natural sugar substitute that contains 40% fewer calories and a lower glycemic index

However, the fact that it is alright for human consumption it does not make it any less hazardous for dogs. Even though xylitol has the potential to be fatal to dogs, most owners are significantly less aware of its poisonous properties. Xylitol can be extremely dangerous to dogs because it can cause a very rapid drop in blood sugar with a later risk of liver damage.

Symptoms can become visible within an hour of ingestion, although in some cases there can be a delayed onset of 12 hours. A canine eating something containing xylitol may have hypoglycemia, which can result in seizures, difficulty moving about, vomiting, comas, and even death.

It is a lesser-known poison as many people just aren’t aware of the dangers – so it’s really important that pet owners know the dangers of xylitol to dogs.

Pet owners are advised to read the labels of anything they give to their animals. And always try to keep yourself updated about poisonous substances.